St Francis Hospital Nsambya has a long history in providing specialized children’s services. The aim is to provide an excellent, safe and innovative service that is children and family oriented. The paediatric department is composed of three sections;
- Out-patients department
- In-patients-Neonatal unit, St. Camillus, St. Theresa ward (for children from 1 month -12 years)
The in-patient wards have a total bed capacity of close to 80 beds.
The unit is run by 7 pediatricians both full & part time, 3 Senior House Officers and 4 Junior House Officers. It also has nurses, midwives and auxillary staff that provide excellent all around care. The Unit has paediatric specialized clinics running on different days of the week;
Tuesday 1400-1600 Hrs
- Review of patients discharged from wards
- Premature babies clinic
- Chronic conditions clinic e.g. Epilepsy, rheumatoid arthritis
- Chest and Asthma Clinic which runs at the same time but at a different venue
- Sickle Cell Clinic
- Paediatric Diabetes Clinic
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
The Unit was opened in August 2015 and has grown from an average of 2000 admissions in the first year to 2500 in 2016/17.